One of our specialty area in which we have acquired knowledge and expertise is tax. The TASLAF team has over ten years of experience, knowledge, extra qualifications and practical skill in dealing with tax and tax-related matters and can capably and ably provide all-round tax advisory, compliance, health checks and audits for local and multinational business entities.
The tax department team has over ten years of experience, knowledge and practical skill and extra qualifications in taxation, tax compliance, tax planning, audits, finance and accounting in Uganda.
Our specialist Tax services include; Domestic and International Tax advisory and consultancy, Tax compliance reviews, Tax health checks, Tax filings and registrations, Tax return review, Tax objections management, Tax position reconciliation, Tax litigation and dispute resolution, Tax planning, Tax related due diligence, Review of contracts and agreements for tax implica- tions, Tax audit management, Transfer pricing advisory and avoidance of double taxation.
We utilize our combined skills, knowledge, and expertise in tax, banking and finance, commercial transactions, corporate and regulatory law and practice to provide relevant and practical cost effective advice and assistance to our clients.
Tax Practice Highlights
- Advised the Wildlife Conservation Society on an application for the refund of Withholding tax (WHT) of over UGX 100 million
- Advised Enviro Serve on the capital deduction treatment of a landfill under construction in the Albertine Graben Region of Western Uganda on a USD 13.6 Million industrial and hazardous wastes handling project for the oil drilling operations in the region
- Advised Weatherford International Ltd, on the local tax treatment arising from the provision of oil drilling services to Tullow Oil Uganda.
- Advised Talisma Corporation Pvt Ltd on the tax implications of a USD 5 million contract awarded by the Ministry of Finance, Planning and Economic Development for the design, supply and installation of a Computerized Education Management and Accounting System (CEMAS) in public universities and self-accounting tertiary institutions.
- Advised ACCL on the VAT and income tax accounting requirements for an advance payment of UGX 3 billion out of its contract with the Uganda government and payable by the African Development Bank.
- Defended Roofing’s Ltd against a tax payment demand of UGX 1.8 billion arising from the re-characterization of bonus payments to its shareholder directors.
- Defended Nilecom Ltd against a VAT assessment of UGX 3.6 billion arising from the sale of airtime cards.
- Defended Muljibhai Madhavani & Co. Ltd. against a VAT assessment of UGX 6.4 billion arising from a purported under-declaration of sales.
- Defended Electro-Maxx against a tax payment demand of UGX over 6 billion on account of customs duty on Fuel, VAT on importation of furnace oil, and withholding tax and VAT on imported services.
- Spearheaded the preparation of transfer pricing documentation for a range of large corporate entities including: Madhvani Group; International Medical Centre Ltd; International Hospital Kampala Ltd; International Air Ambulance Ltd; Wellspring Advisors Uganda Ltd; Somochem Uganda Ltd, Britannia Allied Industries Ltd; and, IMG Pharmaceuticals Ltd.